Old Man Tactical

I'll admit it, it is OK. You can admit it too... You got sucked in to the tactical fad in some way. You bought some 5.11 pants...maybe you put a rail light on a gun...Assisted open knife (you wanted that Halo automatic knife that Jack Bauer had in 24... but it is illegal in your state too).

A few months ago, I was going through my knives, I had a bunch... one to match each mood... and said  Enough is Enough. It occurred to me that it was most prudent to realistically think about how I have had to use knives over the course of my lifetime and how I would be realistically using them for the rest of my life. I have never HAD to flick open a knife one handed while hanging from a belay line. I have not had to quickly open a knife to get into a back-alley knife fight. You probably have not either.

Old guys have already done all the real world testing for us. If it did not work, old guys wouldnt be using it.

So I sold most of my knives. I kept a Benchmade that I love, and one Kersshaw. I bought a Case Canoe knife. It came razor sharp, and has stayed that way for the past 3 months.
Case Canoe Knife


I have used it pretty much every day. It came with a cool etching of an indian in a canoe on it, but after I used the knife to open a few dozen packets of chlorine pool shock, and it was covered in rust and tarnish from the chlorine (Note to you gentile readers, DO NOT USE A NICE KIFE WITH CHLORINE). I polished it with some MAAS, and the etching came off... but so did the tarnish and rust.. so I can not really complain.

Here 'tis....Open


Mike Bravo kids me whenever I pull out that Case knife, that it takes me 2 seconds (and 2 hands) to open it, but it works for me.

This is kind of spilling over into other parts of my life.... The autoloaders are gone, replaced by revolvers and lever actions... The 5.11 pants are being exchanged for some real pants that, although they may be lacking in tactical pocketry, are oozing with "I am not an operator and therefore not a threat"-isity.

I think I'm moving forward with some old man tactical...

No comments:

Post a Comment